MAN IN A CHANGING SOCIETY
1. a) What changes have been brought about by urbanization in Uganda?
b) As a Christian suggests ways in which these changes can be addressed.
2. a) Give similarities and differences between Christian and traditional African attitudes towards work.
b) What does the Old Testament teach us about work?
3. a) What did Jesus mean when he said that " the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath"?
b) How would you advise a young Christian in your school on how to spend Sundays?
ORDER AND FREEDOM IN SOCIETY
4. a) what forms of injustice do children suffer in Uganda today?
b) Point out the effort that government and the church are making to deal with the problem.
5. a) Explain the:
i. advantages of authority
ii. Disadvantages of authority.
b) Using the example of Jesus, show that authority means service.
6. a) How did young people in traditional Africa express their loyalty?
b) What does the church add to the African ideals of loyalty?
c) Mention the problems of loyalty people face today.
7. a) What were considered as source of happiness by the :
i. Israelites in the Old Testament?
ii. Christians in church history?
b) Explain the problems Christians face in trying to find happiness by following the teaching of the Beatitudes.
8. a) What relationship, according to African tradition, existed between the living and the dead? Give examples.
b) Point out the traditional African understanding of life after death?
c) What do Christians mean by everlasting life?
9. Describe the achievements of the church in East Africa in:
MAN AND WOMAN
10. a) Explain the traditional African understanding of the family.
b) In which ways does it differ from the concept of the family today?
11. a) "Men and women are equal but different". In what ways are they
b) The church of Uganda recently started ordaining women as deacons. From what you know about the teaching and history of Christianity give reasons why this step:
i. May be supported by some people.
ii. May not be supported by others.
12. a) What qualities do young people look for in their prospective marriage partners/
b) How can they be helped by the Bible teaching to find good partners?
MAN'S RESPONSE TO GOD THROUGH FAITH AND LOVE
13. Explain the:
a) Similarities and
b) Differences between the ways in which people searched for God in traditional African societies and in the present situation.
14. a) Give evidence to show that people in Uganda are turning away from God today.
b) How can Jesus' teaching help such people to see that they need God?
15. a) How did Christian missionaries to African cultures?
b) Explain ways in which traditional African attitudes and values have been used in Christianity today.